Chaos in UK Parliament – level 1
This news is from the UK. Boris Johnson suspends the British parliament this month. The MPs do not work for five weeks.
However, the Supreme Court says that Johnson cannot suspend the parliament. They say that it is a crime. The Supreme Court says that the parliament must go back to work.
MPs start work again on Wednesday, September 25th. Critics say that Johnson should stop being prime minister.
Difficult words: suspend (stop), MP (a member of parliament – the UK government), Supreme Court (the highest court in the UK – the lawyers with the most power).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos