Chicago Teachers Protest – level 2
There was a strike of teachers in Chicago that started one week ago. Teachers wanted smaller class sizes, more staff, and better money for their work.
They had discussions with schools, but it was difficult to find a solution. They did not agree on many things, and the main problem was money.
The Chicago Mayor was very unhappy about the situation. He says that the city does not have enough money for all that the teachers want. The teachers think that the city has enough money, and they say that the problem is that the city spends it on other things.
Difficult words: strike (an official way to show that somebody does not agree with something, usually by stopping to work), staff (all the people who work in a company or an institution), solution (a way of solving a problem).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.