Children in Parliament – level 2
Teachers in the Democratic Republic of Congo went on strike on October 4.
The strike already lasted more than two weeks, which meant that children learned nothing. Teachers said they would not teach children until next year, and children got very angry.
They walked to Congo´s parliament because they wanted the government to end the strike. They spoke to an official, who said that children should be in school and learn and not in the parliament. He also said that teachers told the children to do this to get what they wanted.
He said that teachers asked for more money and bonuses for their work. They also want to change the age when teachers stop working and retire.
Difficult words: strike (to stop work until something changes such as you get more money; when workers stop work), bonus (extra money which somebody gets because he works hard), retire (to leave a job because of old age or illness).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.