Chile protests – level 3
Last week, hundreds of Chileans protested in the streets against immigration, while burning tents and items belonging to migrants in the northern Chilean port city of Iquique.
The protests came after the government evicted a controversial Venezuelan-majority migrant camp that had existed for a year in the town square. Then it was declared a health risk.
Most of the migrants, poor and undocumented, were stranded in the city and survived on odd jobs with no way to reach the capital. Hundreds of families who lived at the square wandered in various public places, and tried to settle with tents on the beaches where hotels and apartments are also along the sand.
Chile is South America´s wealthiest country. Venezuela, on the other hand, is in an unprecedented economic and political crisis that has led millions of people to leave their country. Venezuela´s national currency has lost 73% of its value to the dollar so far this year, and its inflation is about 3,000%.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.