Chile wildfires – level 3
Hundreds of wildfires are burning across Chile, so the government extended an emergency order to another region on Saturday.
Due to a scorching summer heatwave and high winds, authorities have struggled to contain the fires that have claimed at least 23 lives. Some rescue efforts ended in further tragedy when an emergency support helicopter crashed and killed two rescuers. A firefighter also died while trying to battle flames.
More than 1,100 people have sought refuge in shelters, and the disaster has disrupted traffic on various highways.
Authorities said that the adverse weather conditions would continue as temperatures soar above 38 degrees Celsius, and they predict more strong winds in the affected areas.
Difficult words: scorching (very hot), refuge (a place or situation where a person is safe), adverse (harmful or unfavorable).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What is the emergency order that was extended to another region in Chile?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos