Chile’s new president – level 2
Gabriel Boric became the new president of Chile. At 36 years old, he became the youngest president in history.
Boric defeated his rival José Antonio Kast, who had very different plans on what to do with the country. Interestingly, both men came from political parties which were never in Chile’s government.
Boric will have to deal with many different political and economic tasks. Many young people trust him, as they have a similar view as him.
Boric wants to be one of the greenest presidents in the world. He wants to make people in Latin America aware of climate change. He wants to improve access to clean water and to care after the rainforest and indigenous people.
Difficult words: rival (a person who competes with somebody else), aware (to know about something, or he has information about it), indigenous people (people who lived in one place for many generations, and they are closely connected to the natural world).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.