China and Soybeans – level 1
A tariff is a special fee. Countries make other countries pay tariffs when they sell or buy things.
Right now, there is a trade war with the US and China. The US changes its tariffs for China. Next China changes its tariffs. They remove some American goods from the tariffs. These are goods like pork and soybeans. This makes people feel calmer about the trade war.
China picks soybeans because they are important to the US. The US says that soybeans are about half of the American important crops. Soybeans also make up about 30% of money for crops from the USA.
Difficult words: fee (the money which you have to pay), trade war (when two countries change how they sell or buy things to make others change how they sell or buy), goods (things), crop (a plant or animal that you grow and sell for money).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.