China Floods – level 1
Big floods happen in eastern China. The flood happens on the Yangtze River. The Yangtze River is the longest river in Asia. It is the third longest river in the world.
Officials say that it is the biggest flood in many years. The flood lasts one week. More than 300,000 people must leave their homes.
The flood destroys many towns and villages. Many people lose their homes. People have nothing to eat. The flood destroys houses. Officials must use boats. They rescue people who are trapped.
In some parts of the country, people already clean the streets and homes after the flood.
Difficult words: flood (when there is too much water, and the water gets into streets and houses), destroy (to break so much that something cannot be fixed), rescue (to save), trapped (when someone is in a dangerous place or situation, and he cannot get out).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.