China Floods – level 2
A large flood hit eastern China, and officials said that it was the largest flood in the country in decades. The flood happened along the Yangtze River, which is the longest river in Asia.
The flood lasted more than one week, and officials evacuated more than 300,000 people. Many people lost homes and they did not have anything to eat. In Poyang County, heavy rain destroyed towns and villages, and more than 5,000 people had to leave their homes. Officials used 54 boats to rescue almost 2,000 people.
In Shexian county, people started to clean the streets and homes after the floods.
Difficult words: decade (ten years), evacuate (to take somebody to a safe place), rescue (to save).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos