Christmas Market Shooting – level 3
Last Tuesday, there was a shooting at a Christmas market in Strasbourg in north-eastern France. Four people died and another 13 were injured.
The French police named 29-year-old Charif Chekatt as the suspected shooter who disappeared after his rampage and is still on the run.
A massive manhunt is underway on the man who has a known police record for crimes including armed robbery. French intelligence had also monitored him as a suspected religious radical.
Difficult words: suspected (thought to be a criminal, but the police are not 100% sure), disappear (run away or hide so that people cannot find you), rampage (a violent act), radical (someone who has extreme views).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.