Circus Has Problems – level 2
Cirque du Soleil is an entertainment company, and it is the largest circus producer in the world. The company is located in Canada; however, its shows are popular all over the world.
On Monday, the company said that it had big financial problems. The company filed for bankruptcy which means that it cannot pay its debts. The reason for Cirque du Soleil’s troubles is the coronavirus. The company had to stop its shows, and it lost a lot of money.
3,500 employees had to leave the company. However, the company plans to hire some people when the shows start again and when the situation gets better.
Difficult words: circus (artists and clowns who perform shows for people, usually in a big tent), bankruptcy (when a business or a does not make money and asks for help from the government), debts (when you must pay money to someone else).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos