City without electricity – level 2
12 years ago, a fight with militants started in Nigeria, and Nigeria’s Borno State became the center of the fight.
In January, militants bombed transmission lines which brought power to the capital city of Maidugri, and it left thousands of people without electricity. Workers fixed the lines, but militants destroyed them again. Local businesses used generators which were very expensive, and they harmed the environment. Some people lost their jobs, and they started to work with the militants.
Officers removed bombs from the roads, so it can be possible to fix the power lines soon. A Nigerian oil company also promised that it would build a power plant in the city.
Difficult words: militant (a person who strongly wants to make changes, usually in politics), transmission line (a cable or other structure which takes electricity from one place to another), generator (a machine which makes electricity).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos