Cleaner Air – level 1
The coronavirus is in many countries. Many people stay at home. Factories stop making things.
Cars and farm animals make dangerous gas. This gas makes the air dirty. Now, there are fewer cars in the streets. Scientists can see that the air is cleaner.
Between the big US cities of Washington and Boston, there is 30% less dangerous gas than usual. In other big cities, the situation is similar. Many European cities have cleaner air. For example, these cities are Madrid, Rome and Paris.
Many places are empty and quiet. This is a good time for animals. Animals come closer to people’s homes. They wander in the streets of empty towns. In Australia, people see kangaroos in the streets. In Wales, wild goats come to the center of a small town.
Difficult words: factory (a big building where people make things such as cars, machines, or clothes), farm animals (animals like cows or chickens that people keep for meat and milk), wander (to walk around a place slowly).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.