Climate Change Protests – level 3
There have been more than 1,000 arrests during one and a half-week-long protests organised by a group called Extinction Revolution.
The protesters demanded actions to address climate change, blocked the entrance of the London Stock Exchange, and held banners in a London financial district last Thursday. One of the banners read ‘business as usual = death’, meaning that doing nothing can be catastrophic for the planet.
The protests and spectacles were disruptive to the city, but the organisation said that it made its point. One activist said that it had become very popular and politicians noticed.
The Extinction Revolution wants the government to create a national program which would reduce carbon emission, which contribute to global warming, to zero by 2025. Similar climate protests took place in New York, Berlin, Paris and at the Hague.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.