Colombia Killing – level 2
On Saturday, ten armed men killed at least eight people in a mass killing on a coffee farm in Colombia.
Local authorities said that the incident was connected to drug business and that the criminals were a part of one of the biggest drug cartels. The drug cartel probably wanted to harm the local government and the way that people lived.
Problems with drug business have lasted for many years in Colombia, and last year, they got even worse. Colombia is one of the biggest creators of cocaine in the world and the drug business affects many people. More than 260 thousand people died because of the drug business and millions of people had to leave their homes because of the violence.
Difficult words: armed (when a person is carrying a weapon), killing (the action when a person kills another person), drug cartel (a criminal organization that controls business with illegal drugs), cocaine (an illegal drug that is made from the coca plant).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos