Companies leave Russia – level 1
Danone is a French food company. It has business in Russia. On Friday, Danone says that it will leave Russia.
Many countries stop their business in Russia. The reason is the war in Ukraine. Companies lose a lot of money to stop their business. They still do it. They think that it is the right thing to do.
Danone will sell 90% of its dairy food business in Russia. Danone does not say who will buy the business. The sell will cost the company about 978 million dollars. Danone will continue to make infant food in Russia.
Some other big food companies still have business in Russia. They are companies like Nestle and Procter&Gamble. Many people and organizations criticize them. They say that these companies must stop their business in Russia.
Difficult words: dairy food (things like cheese, yogurt, or milk), infant (a baby), criticize (an explanation that something is bad).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos