Constitution Day in Spain – level 3
The Spanish royal family celebrated 40 years since the Spanish Constitution which over 90 per cent of the population approved in the 1978 referendum.
In a speech in the Spanish parliament, King Felipe VI said that modern Spain should be proud of the constitution. Meanwhile, protesters took to the streets in an anti-monarchy demonstration – some people there think that the monarchy no longer represents the needs of the working class.
Difficult words: Constitution (the basic ideas and laws of a government that tells about its powers and its people’s rights), referendum (when the people of a country choose changes to happen in that country), demonstration (a formal protest).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.