Conversion Therapy in USA – level 3
The governor of the American state of Colorado signed a law last Friday which made Colorado the 18th state (out of 50) to ban gay conversion therapy for minors.
Conversion therapy is a practice of trying to change an individual’s sexual orientation from homosexual or bisexual to heterosexual.
The law prohibits psychiatrists or other professionals to participate in “conversion therapy” to change a minor’s sexual orientation or gender identity. Those who break the law will be subject to disciplinary measures. The governor tweeted that ‘so-called conversion therapy is a torturous practice that has long been widely-discredited by medical and mental health professionals.’
Difficult words: minor (a person younger than 18), disciplinary measures (action which is taken when a worker does something wrong – they can be ordered to stop working), torturous (like torture – painful and cruel), discredit (to prove that something is wrong).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.