Copyright on the Internet – level 1
The European Parliament passes a new law. It is about copyright reforms. It makes big changes for technology companies.
The law says that Internet sites need to pay to show another organisation’s work. This means that a news site has to pay to show news from another news organisation.
The law also says that Internet companies need to watch their users. If their users break the law, the companies get in trouble.
Critics do not like this. They say that this can stop creativity on the Internet. They say that people cannot say what they think after this.
Difficult words: copyright reform (a copyright law change – copyright is when you protect a person’s ideas so another person cannot easily copy them), user (a person who uses or goes on a website), break the law (do something which the law says you must not do).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos