Coronavirus and Blood Type – level 2
This week, scientists in the UK published the study that linked blood types and the coronavirus.
Scientists studied blood types of about 2,000 people who had serious COVID-19 and several thousands of people who had only mild or no symptoms. Scientists compared the blood types, and they came up with an interesting result. The study said that people with Type A blood usually had more serious COVID-19. Also, people with Type 0 blood did not usually have big health problems.
This is not the first time when a blood type affects a disease. Scientists discovered a similar thing with SARS. Also, the blood type can increase the risk of illnesses like cholera or urinary infection.
Difficult words: blood type (the A, B, AB and 0 type of blood that are different from each other because they have or have not some specific substances), cholera (a serious disease that people get from eating bad food or drinking bad water), urinary (related to kidneys and bladder).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.