Coronavirus and Blood Type – level 3
Some people get very sick from COVID-19 while others do not. The reason why may be linked to a person’s blood type.
A study published in the New England Journal of Medicine looked at blood types of about 2,000 people in Europe with severe COVID-19 and compared them to several thousand other people who were healthy or who had only mild symptoms.
Scientists found that people with Type A blood were more likely to have severe disease while people with Type 0 were less likely. The findings are similar to what scientists discovered during the SARS outbreak. In fact, blood type has been linked to an increase in developing other illnesses like cholera, urinary tract infections and ulcers that can cause stomach cancer.
Difficult words: blood type (a classification of blood that is based on the presence of specific substances, and that states types A, B, AB and 0), cholera (a serious infectious disease caused by drinking infected water or eating infected food), ulcer (a break in the skin or on the surface of an organ inside the body).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos