Coronavirus and Vaccine – level 1
Scientists all over the world are working hard. They want to make a vaccine for the coronavirus. Usually, it takes many years to make a vaccine. Health officials believe that the vaccine for the coronavirus can be ready this year.
Scientists in Oxford, UK, make vaccines last year. These vaccines are good for some viruses. The viruses are similar to the coronavirus. Scientists test the vaccines on monkeys. The vaccines work well.
Oxford scientists make a vaccine for coronavirus. They hope that officials can approve it. They want to start clinical trials very soon. However, scientists do not know if people can have the same reaction to the vaccine as monkeys.
Difficult words: vaccine (when a doctor gives you a thing that can make you ill such as a virus or bacteria; the thing makes you stronger when you gets ill), virus (a very small thing that can make people very ill), approve (to make something officially possible), reaction (what your body does after something changes such as you take a medicine or a doctor gives you a vaccine).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos