COVID-19 vaccine from a tree – level 2
Forest experts in Chile´s Casablanca region are growing young Quillay trees, and they hope that their bark could help make a new COVID-19 vaccine.
Indigenous people use Quillay trees to make soap and medicine, and scientists also use the tree to make a vaccine against other diseases. Scientists make a special substance from the bark which helps immunity, and it could be important to a new COVID-19 vaccine. Experts believe that the vaccine will be appropriate for poorer countries.
It is clear that the demand for a new vaccine will grow, and there will not be enough older Quillay trees. Farmers will have to set up larger farms or think of other ways to make the substance which they need for the vaccine.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.