Cows make electricity – level 2
Spreca Farm in Bosnia is one of the first in the country to make electricity from animal waste.
Many farms depend on government subsidies, but energy prices are growing fast, and farmers are looking to save money. The electric factory makes biogas from animal waste and silage, which is grass and plants that cows eat. The factory has several parts: it mixes the waste and silage and then fermentation creates biogas. Some heat from fermentation warms some farm buildings.
The factory makes more electricity in one hour than one family needs in one month. Farmers can become independent from government help.
Difficult words: subsidy (money from the government to support a business), biogas (a gas which from changing food or animal waste) fermentation (a chemical process during which bacteria make changes in a thing).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos