Crane Moves in the Wind – level 3
An unstable crane began spinning out of control a top a skyscraper in remnants of Hurricane Zeta winds in Manhattan, New York City.
The crane repeatedly hit the building, and it sent debris plummeting to the ground from an 84-story tower that was under construction. Authorities closed off four blocks in midtown to prevent injuries; however, no injuries were reported. When fire crews arrived at the scene, they could not see the top of the building due to heavy wind and fog.
The crane is designed to withstand winds of up to 160 kmph and to spin in the wind; however, officials are trying to determine what caused the debris to fall.
Difficult words: remnant (the remains), plummet (to fall down at a high speed), midtown (the center of a city), withstand (to resist).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos