Damaged Easter Island statues – level 1
Famous Moai stone statues are on Easter Island. They look like big heads.
More than a thousand of statues are on the island. The island belongs to Chile. It is about 3,200 kilometers from Chile. It is in the Pacific Ocean. Hundreds of years ago, indigenous people carve the heads in the stones. Tourists from all the world visit the statues.
Last week, a fire starts on the island. It burns almost 150 acres of land. The stone statues get hot. Some statues crack. It is not possible to fix them.
Officials don’t know why the fire starts. It is also not clear how many statues are broken.
Difficult words: indigenous (people who originally live in a place for a very long time), carve (to cut a hard material into an object), crack (to break into parts).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos