Damaged Easter Island statues – level 2
Last week, a wildfire damaged the famous stone statues on Chile’s Easter Island.
Officials don’t know the fire’s cause or the number of damaged statues. The fire affected nearly 150 acres of land, and officials said that it was impossible to repair the statues because they cracked in the heat.
Hundreds of years ago, Indigenous people carved a thousand stone statues that look like heads, and recently, the island became world famous for them.
The island closed more than two years ago because of the coronavirus, and it opened to tourists again only a few months ago.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.