Dangerous Baby Food – level 2
A 45-year-old man from Lincolnshire, UK, came up with a crazy way to make money. He put pieces of metal in several jars of baby food, and he placed the jars on supermarket shelves.
Then, he blackmailed three food companies, and he wanted to get 1.5 million pounds in bitcoin from them. He promised to say where the contaminated food was if he got the money.
The company Tesco had to recall some baby food after two women found pieces of metal in the baby food when they were feeding their children. The man is facing up to 17 years in prison, and the judge will announce the verdict at the end of September.
Difficult words: blackmail (when somebody asks somebody else for money, and he promises to do something if he gets the money), contaminate (to make dirty), recall (to ask people to bring something back, usually because it is dangerous).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.