Dangerous Insect – level 2
Countries in East Africa are experiencing an invasion of locusts. It is the worst invasion in the last 25 years. A locust is a type of insect that flies in large groups and destroys plants and crops.
One swarm can be 60 kilometers long and 40 kilometers wide, and it can contain billions of locusts.
The insect is as big as a finger, and it eats a lot. In a day, one swarm can destroy crops that feed 2,500 people. It is a huge problem for farmers and families who live in the area.
In Kenya, the situation is very serious. Some officials say that it is not effective to spray chemicals on the insect. However, the Ministry of Agriculture Secretary said that the chemicals are very strong and they can kill all insects.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.