Dark Side of the Moon – level 3
Observers on Earth can only see one side of the moon because it is tidally locked to our planet, which means that its orbital period is the same as its rotation around its axis.
The side which is never visible from Earth is called the dark side of the moon, and recently a camera captured it aboard a NASA satellite. The images show the moon moving across the Pacific Ocean towards North America.
However, this was not the first time that humankind could see the dark side, as there were pictures of it back in 1959 during a Soviet mission.
Difficult words: observer (a person who observes – watches something), tidal lock (when a side of a moon or a planet always faces another moon or planet), orbital (relating to orbit – the regularly repeated elliptical course of an object), axis (an imaginary line about which something rotates), Soviet (the name for Russian’s government during Communism).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about the dark side of the moon?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.