Dead fish in ocean – level 2
Martinis is the second biggest trawler in the world. Trawlers are large ships that use wide nets to catch fish. The nets are more than one kilometer long.
Last week, Martinis spilled fish into the Atlantic Ocean. The company, which operated Martinis, said that the reason was that the net burst suddenly. More than 100,000 dead fish went into the ocean off France, and the spill covered 3,000 square meters. Photos of the spill shocked France, and officials asked to investigate the situation.
People who care about the environment often say that these big ships are very bad for fish. Wide nets catch too many fish, and they also catch other animals which live in the sea. Another problem is for the animals, which eat the fish because they have nothing to eat.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.