Dead Turtles in the Pacific – level 3
People found as many as 400 dead sea turtles floating in the Pacific around 13 kilometres off the coast of El Salvador in Central America. There were also some seriously ill turtles which people took to local veterinarians.
David Barahona, the mayor of the municipality where people found the turtles, speculated that they may have been victims of blast fishing or high levels of contamination in the area.
In 2013, people blamed a similar incident on a deadly neurotoxin produced by an algal bloom.
Difficult words: municipality (an area which has a local government), blast fishing (killing fish with bombs), neurotoxin (a poison which acts on the nervous system), algal bloom (a rapid growth of microscopic algae, which is a simple non-flowering aquatic plant).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.