Death Penalty in US – level 3
The death penalty is a legal penalty in the US, and it is currently used by 28 states.
Since 1976, when the death penalty was established again, more than 1,500 people have been executed. However, the number of executions has been going down.
Experts say that the COVID-19 slowdown could be an opportunity for opponents of the death penalty to make progress towards ending this practice. Issues such as wrongful convictions and executions, that were done badly, get a lot of public attention, and people’s opinion on the death penalty is changing.
Experts believe that the current coronavirus crisis will change how society views the death penalty. Crises have a unifying effect, and many people find it more difficult to accept the death penalty as a form of punishment.
Difficult words: death penalty (the legal punishment of death), execute (to kill someone as a legal punishment), execution (the process of killing someone as a legal punishment), wrongful conviction (when someone who did not do a crime is found guilty by mistake)
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos