Deepfakes and Politics – level 1
People use technology to change videos or audio. Sometimes other people cannot tell that the new videos or audio are not real. These new things are called ‘deepfakes’.
Deepfakes worry American leaders. They think that people can use them to disrupt the election process in 2020.
It is very hard to stop deepfakes. They are on social media. Social media are everywhere. Also, information moves quickly on the Internet.
Deepfakes can hurt a person’s reputation. Some people think that businesses should take deepfakes down. Other people say that people can say what they want.
Difficult words: disrupt (break up, upset, do something bad), election process (when people choose new leaders), reputation (what people think about you).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos