Diana’s letters at auction – level 1
Between 1995 and 1997, Princess Diana writes 32 letters to her friends. Her friends are Terek and Susie Kassem. Now, they are selling the letters in auction.
Diana writes about her divorce with Prince Charles. She writes how difficult it is for her. She wishes it wasn’t so hard. She hopes that 1997 will be a good year.
The letters can sell for more than 100,000 dollars. Terek and Susie will give the money to charities. Diana likes the charities in the past.
Difficult words: auction (a place where the person can buy something if they spend the most money), divorce (the situation when two married people legally end their marriage), charity (an organization which gives money and food to sick or poor people).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
Who are Terek and Susie Kassem?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.