Diana’s letters at auction – level 2
Between 1995 and 1997, Princess Diana wrote 32 letters to her friends Terek and Susie Kassem. Now, the Kassems are selling the letters in auction.
Diana wrote the letters during the time that she divorced Prince Charles. She wrote about how difficult this time was for her, and she hoped that 1997 would be a better year. She also wrote that if she knew how difficult the divorce would be, she would never have agreed to go it.
Auctioneers expect to sell the letters for more than 100,000 dollars. The Kassems will give the money to charities which Diana supported.
Difficult words: auction (a place where people sell things and one person buys things if they offer the most money), auctioneer (a person who is in charge of an auction), charity (an organization which gives food or money to people who need it).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What did Princess Diana hope for in 1997?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos