Dieselgate – level 2
Dieselgate was a scandal which happened in 2015. The German carmaker Volkswagen used illegal software to cheat emissions tests in the US.
The company paid more than 38 billion dollars in legal costs, and it had to replace some parts in its cars.
Volkswagen still develops new and better technologies, and last week, the company introduced its latest electric car in Dresden, Germany. Dieselgate still did not end, and Volkswagen is still having problems which are connected to the scandal. The company investigated what happened in Dieselgate, and it seemed that its former boss and former Audi boss were responsible for the scandal.
Both men said that they did nothing wrong, but Volkswagen said that they had to pay some money to end the scandal.
Difficult words: scandal (when something happens and many people get angry about it), cheat (to make someone believe something which is not true), replace (to take something away and put something new in the same place).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.