Dirty Lagoon – level 2
A lagoon in Paraguay changed its color. It turned pink, and people think that the reason is pollution.
Five months ago, local people reported the pollution to authorities; however, authorities did not do anything. Local people thought that the pollution came from a nearby factory which dumped waste into the lagoon. Now, half of the lagoon is blue and clean, and the other half is bright pink. Local people are angry, and they protested against authorities.
Authorities found a pipe that led into the water. Scientists took samples of the water, and they confirmed that the water was polluted. In the water, scientists found heavy metals which came from a leather factory.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.