Dirty Lagoon – level 3
Half of a lagoon in Limpio, Paraguay, has turned bright purple after a suspected chemicals leak.
The contrast with the other half of lagoon, which remains blue and clean, is striking. Residents are protesting over the government’s failure to take action against the pollution, and they blame a nearby factory. One of the residents said that people had reported the pollution to the authorities five months ago. Authorities confirmed that they had found a pipe that was dumping untreated waste into the lagoon.
Lab tests indicated that the color of the water is due to the presence of heavy metals like chromium, which is used in the tanning of animal skins as part of the leather production.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.