Dirty UK waters – level 2
Surfers Against Sewage is an organization which works actively to improve water quality in the UK.
For 30 years, the company tries to stop sewage pollution. They demand changes in law and they call out water companies and big businesses to stop the pollution. But the situation is still very bad, and sewage pollution is the biggest issue. The goal is to stop sewage discharge into bathing waters and reduce sewage discharges by 90% by 2030. Sewage pollution has a bad impact on rivers, seas, and people, too.
The problem is that companies don’t want to put money into modern technologies, and also, the current water quality testing system is not good enough.
Last week, thousands of people protested in 12 places around the UK to end sewage pollution.
Difficult words: sewage pollution (when water which contains human feces gets into lakes and rivers), demand (to ask for something), sewage discharge (releasing water which contains human feces into rivers or sea).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What is the goal of the Surfers Against Sewage organization to reduce sewage discharge levels by 2030?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.