Dry American rivers – level 1
The Mississippi River is big. It is the US’s largest river. It is drying up. It doesn’t have enough.
Many rivers flow into the Mississippi. Most of these rivers are in the Midwest. This area has many problems from drought. The weather has very little rain here.
In some places, people can walk on the bottom of rivers. Big boats can’t go on these rivers. The water is too low.
Farmers use big boats to move food. The rivers are not deep enough for the boats. Farmers must use smaller boats.
Farmers have problems. They can’t sell all their food. The weather is changing. It hurts the farmers. They must learn to live with the changes.
Difficult words: dry up (to get dry), flow (to move water), drought (a time when it doesn’t rain in an area for a long time).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos