Dutch Prince Nazi history – level 2
Historian Flip Maarschalkerweerd found a Nazi membership card which belonged to the late Dutch Prince Bernhard. Some people call for an inquiry into his links with NSDAP, Adolf Hitler’s party.
Prince Bernhard, who married into the Dutch royal family in the 1930s, denied that he was a Nazi but he said that he was part of Nazi military units. He said that it was usual for men of his age during that time. While suspicions about his Nazi links existed, many people criticized that Prince Bernhard never admitted that he belonged to NSDAP.
The Dutch government confirmed the card’s discovery but they don’t want to start a new investigation.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What further evidence do you think needs to be uncovered in order to determine Prince Bernhard's involvement with NSDAP?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.