Earthquake in Afghanistan – level 1
There is an earthquake. It hits Afghanistan, Pakistan, India and Tajikistan. Afghanistan is hit the most. Over 100 people die there.
An incident happens at a school. When the earthquake hits, people leave the school. Everybody is running and panicking. There are too many people. The situation is complete chaos. Twelve girls die in this incident.
Difficult words: earthquake (when the ground moves), incident (a situation when something not normal happens), panic (to be very shocked and afraid), chaos (when a lot of things happen at one).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this earthquake?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.