Egypt Discovery – level 2
Archaeologists in Egypt discovered more than 80 ancient coffins. Archaeologists made the amazing discovery in Saqqara, which is a large burial site 30 kilometers south of the capital city.
In Saqqara, there is also one of the oldest pyramids in the world, the Pyramid of Djoser.
The discovery included sarcophagi and wooden statues that were around 2,500 years old. Some of the statues were painted, and some were covered with gold. Archaeologists plan to give details about the discovery later this week.
In 2011, the political situation in Egypt changed dramatically, and many people were afraid to travel to the country. Now, Egypt is trying to bring tourists back, and new discoveries could help the effort.
Difficult words: coffin (a wooden or stone case where people put dead bodies), burial site (a place where are many dead bodies in the ground), sarcophagus (a stone case where people in Egypt put dead bodies).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.