Egypt mummies – level 1
Organizers in Cairo, Egypt, hold a special ceremony. They move 22 mummies of kings and queens to a new museum.
The mummies of Queen Hatshepsut and King Ramses II are among the mummies. Ramses II is one of the greatest kings in Ancient Egypt. He is a king for 67 years.
When kings and queens die in Ancient Egypt, people make mummies from them. They take out their body parts and put a special material around them. They believe that people can live forever as mummies.
Special vehicles take the mummies to the new place. They look like old boats. These boats take dead kings and queens to their tombs in the past. It is 3,000 years ago.
Officials hold the ceremony because they want to make tourists come to Egypt. They want to show the best of Egypt.
Difficult words: ceremony (a special event for people that celebrates something important), mummy (a dead body which people change so it lasts longer, and they hope that the dead person will live forever), tomb (a large stone building where dead kings and queens stay).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.