Egyptian Man Becomes a Woman – level 2
Farida Aly was born in Egypt. She was born as a man, but she always felt like a woman. It was difficult for her because she could not talk to anybody about her feelings.
Farida spent many years undergoing blood and personality tests. Doctors scanned her brain, and they said that Farida had mental problems. Farida wanted to become a woman, and she decided to undergo an operation that would change her gender.
In Egypt, it is legal to change a gender, but Egypt is a conservative Muslim country. It means that people do not like new things and they find them bad. Farida lost her job and she had to leave her family. She moved to another town where people did not know about her past. Now, Farida teaches children from the neighborhood and she hopes to have her own child one day.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.