El Salvador accepts bitcoin – level 2
Politicians in El Salvador approved bitcoin as official money in this Central American country. El Salvador is the first country in the world which fully accepted bitcoin. Many politicians voted for bitcoin.
One of the politicians who voted against bitcoin said that this approval is bad and it is an experiment. One of the politicians who voted for bitcoin said that this is an important step for El Salvador. It is a step for technology and into the future which will bring tourism, new ideas, and economic development to El Salvador.
Lawmakers in countries all over the world warned about bitcoin in the past because its value can change very quickly and because it can be used for illegal activities.
The president of El Salvador said that bitcoin can help Salvadorians who live abroad to send money back home. The president has more plans for bitcoin. He wants to use renewable energy from the country’s volcanoes to mine bitcoin in El Salvador.
Difficult words: approve (to say yes to something), warn (to say that something can be dangerous), renewable (connected with getting energy from the sun, wind, water, or earth), mine (to work to get gold, silver, or bitcoin).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.