Elephant Polo Tournament – level 3
Elephants replaced ponies at the charity King’s Cup Elephant Polo tournament in Bangkok, which takes place between 8th and 11th March to raise money for elephant welfare.
This year is the 16th staging of the tournament, which has raised 1.5 million US dollars.
An elephant osteopath said that all of the elephants were street elephants, which meant that they would sometimes be on a short chain behind a person’s house all day. Bringing elephants to the tournament provides them with interaction, or stimulus, which is what the animals need as they are highly intelligent.
There are three elephants per team and two people per elephant – one is the player and one is the handler.
Difficult words: tournament (a series of contests), welfare (well-being, being healthy), osteopath (a doctor who helps by manipulation and massage of the body), interaction (communication with somebody or something), stimulus (something which makes you active).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.