Elephants eat plastic – level 1
Elephants in Sri Lanka are sick. They have nothing to eat.
14,000 elephants live in Sri Lanka in the 19th century. There are 6,000 elephants in 2011. One problem is that people kill many of the animals illegally. Another problem is the quality of water and land is getting worse.
Animals come closer to farms and homes. Farmers are angry. Elephants eat their mangoes and coconuts. Farmers build electric fences around their farms. Electric fences hurt or kill the animals.
Then elephants get to landfills. A landfill is a place with a lot of rubbish or trash. Elephants eat plastic. They eat too much. They die.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.