Emission-free iron – level 1
Iron is a hard grey metal. People get it from iron ore. They dig it from the ground. They make steel when people add carbon to iron.
Steel is even stronger than iron. People use steel to make machines or buildings. People need coal to make iron. People burn the coal. The process takes oxygen from iron. This produces a lot of pollution. It is very bad for the planet.
An American company has a new way to make iron. The process doesn’t need coal. It uses electricity from the sun and wind. This lowers pollution by 90%.
Difficult words: ore (rock or soil with metal in it), carbon (a chemical which is in all living things, coal, and oil), coal (a black or brown rock which people burn).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos